Big Island Pond

Big Island Pond

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Our own sort of Thanksgiving...

I may sometimes overestimate my abilities. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Unless you are my family and I find this amazing recipe for fried mac and cheese balls online and even though (1.) I'm no culinary expert, (2.) I have never successfully (well to be honest, never at all) fried ANY food, and and (3.) I decide that since I found the recipe last minute, I can easily shorten the 4 frozen mac and cheese hours into 40 minutes.

I am a great cheerleader and I can easily convince Brad that I know exactly what I'm doing. It's not really fair to him, since he is now slightly responsible for the final product. Needless to say, a couple hours later (and no closer to eating) we know that our runny, white, oily pasta will never (and really, should never) see the the table. ((The entire time Brad does continue to encourage me, clearly to a fault)).

I've never been big on the holidays (personal, slightly OCD/Crazy reasons). I'm also a lifelong vegetarian and get sick upon merely smelling a roasting turkey (long story I'll save for my loved ones). This year we are having Thanksgiving at our house for the VERY first time!!!!!

I've planned a menu I think any Bostonian (and really that's who the Pilgrims were) would be proud of: New England Seafood Chowder, Shrimp Cocktail, Coconut Shrimp, Broiled Haddock (for Brad's most-recent wife....a story within itself), Steamed Lobster, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Cauliflower/Broccoli mix, and Pumpkin Pie.

I know the only traditional item is the Pie (and maybe the veggies), but I'm okay with that. The problem is that I'm convinced I need to make everything from scratch and I've never made most of the items before. As much as I second guess myself; however, I am going to practice until then, do my research, and I KNOW I will pull off the most memorable Thanksgiving of my life.

The food may not be expected and it probably won't be the best, but I couldn't ask for anything better than sharing it with my soulmate and best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment